Friday, August 26, 2011

Mastering the Mystical Heptarchy Update

Back in April I announced that my manuscript Mastering the Mystical Heptarchy had been accepted for publication by Pendraig Publishing. Since then we've completed the editing process and the manuscript has now moved on to layout. I still don't have a publication date, but the book is coming along nicely and I hope to see it available for purchase within the next couple of months.

Once it's in print Mastering the Mystical Heptarchy will be one of the few available titles on working practical magick with the Heptarchia Mystica, John Dee's grimoire that contains the conjurations and powers for the Kings and Princes attributed to the seven days of the week. This is the grimoire that may have helped to defeat the Spanish Armada in an epic battle that shaped the course of the British Empire for centuries, and the only portion of the Enochian magical system that Dee himself assembled into a grimoire structure. Based on the workings my magical group has done with the Heptarchia, it contains an extremely powerful and relatively unexplored system of magick.

Some of the information that will appear in the book consists of updated versions of material that was first posted here on Augoeides:
  • My thoughts on Angelic pronunciation based on Dee's original phonetic notations.
  • An overview of my Operant Field method of working with pentagram and hexagram rituals.
  • The AOEVEAE Enochian pentagram ritual and the MADRIAX Enochian hexagram ritual.
  • Creating magical fields with these two Enochian rituals.
  • The NAZ OLPIRT Enochian energy work exercise.
  • A completely updated version of my Heptarchial Ritual Template that has been reworked along technical writing lines to accomodate both modern and traditional grimoire practitioners.
In many ways this new version of the template is the section that I'm most excited about. Rather writing the book exclusively for either modern or traditional grimoire magicians, I have indicated where all the modern forms go if you want to use them, but also have included Dee's opening prayers for those who would rather use the grimoire as written and skip the pentagram rituals and so forth. Along with the template I include my own hand-drawn talisman designs that I use for the Kings and Princes, Dee's conjurations, modified versions of the original Christian prayers that are appropriate for Thelemic practitioners, and a number of other tweaks to the system that I have found to be very effective over the years.

I'm looking forward to the release of the book and I hope that many of you will be interested in checking it out. I'll post another update with a link as soon as it becomes available.

Technorati Digg This Stumble Stumble

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds good. I like that you're including the original with your stuff, Christian/Enochian with Thelemic. When I read books I like to know what is changed (and why if I can't figure it out) and dislike when it takes a lot of research to track it down.

Since this is a specialized section of the Enochian system is previous experience with the Enochian system required, or can the book function on its own?

Scott Stenwick said...

The book can most certainly function on its own, especially if you're already familiar with Renaissance grimoire-style magick. You have prayers, seals, conjurations, and so forth, that for the most part work in the usual manner.

The Heptarchia is the most "conventional" portion of Dee's work compared to the other grimoires of the period. So you have a King and Prince for each of the days of the week that have particular attributes and powers. You don't need to work out anything more complicated like the Keys or the Great Table or the Aires in order to work with the heptarchial system.

Some of the temple equipment can get kind of elaborate, but you don't strictly need it all - the more you have the better it seems to work, but I was able to get good results even back when my temple was a lot more incomplete than it is now.

Anonymous said...

Hey, catching up on your blog. Congratulations! Great to hear when friends ship something they've been excited about. Good luck.