Friday, March 21, 2008

Rite of the Office of the Readings

Looking over the posts for the Office of the Readings, I realized that I hadn't included the actual ritual that we performed for the days following the Invocation of Horus on March 20th. I'm going to post it at the top of the blog for now, but I'll eventually be changing the timestamp so that it follows the Invocation of Horus and precedes the subsequent readings. The idea, then, is that there will be a full collection of rituals and readings for anyone who would like to perform their own series in the years to come.

This ritual was adapted by Soror Lalitha from Ordo Sunyata Vajra's Diamond Sapphire Gem of Radiant Light and The Office of the Readings for the High Holy Days by the Companions of Monsalvat.

0. PREPARATION

The ritual uses two altars, one in the center of the temple and one in the east or in the direction of Boleskine. The ritual is divided into four phases. The first three are based on the principle stages of alchemical work: Nigredo (March 20-25), Albedo (March 26-April 1), and Rubedo (April 1-7). The final stage is the three Days of the Feast (April 8-10), the three days of the writing of The Book of the Law. The Officiant wears black during Nigredo, white during Albedo, and red during Rubedo. A candle of the same color should be left burning on the eastern altar during each of the three phases along with a statue of Horus and optionally one of Ahathoor. The colors are cycled through in the same order for each of the last three days - black for April 8, white for April 9, and red for April 10. The Officiant directs the ritual from the central altar. On this altar are placed any desired magical tools and a bell or gong. The Lectionary containing the readings is placed on the eastern altar for most of the rite and is retrieved by the Officiant when the readings are given from the central altar. It is then returned.

I. INTROIT

Music is played as the congregation is admitted to the temple. The introit music is as follows:

Nigredo: Depth of Catastrophe by Alizadeh
Albedo: Ninth Aethyr Canticle
Rubedo: 169 Cries
First Day of the Feast: Sirt im Sasani
Second Day of the Feast: Horus
Third Day of the Feast: Annua Gaudia by Moore

Each member of the congregation is purified with water and consecrated with incense as they enter the temple. The same is then done to the four quarters and the two altars. Some of the pieces are fairly short so they should be played on repeat until all of these actions have been completed if the congregation is large.

II. OPENING

Officiant: BALASTI! OMPEHDA!

The Officiant performs the Star Ruby, and when finished strikes the gong.

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law.

All: Love is the law, love under will.

III. FORMULATION OF THE LIGHT

The Officiant performs the Star Sapphire.

Officiant: If they say to you, where did you come from?, say to them, We came from the light. If they say to you, Is it you?, say, We are its children, and we are the elect of the living father. If they ask you, What is the sign of your father in you?, say to them, It is movement and repose. (Gospel of Thomas, Saying Number 70)

All: Now I begin to pray, thou child,
Holy thy name and undefiled.
Thy reign is come, thy will is done,
Here is the bread, here is the blood,
Bring me through midnight to the Sun.
Save me from evil and from good,
That thy one crown of all the ten
Even now and here be mine.
AMEN.

Officiant strikes the gong.

IV. PRELIMINARY LITANY OF THE OFFICE OF THE READINGS

Officiant: O my Lord, my beloved! How shall I indite songs, when even the memory of the shadow of thy glory is a thing beyond all music of speech or of silence? --- Be thou Hadit, my secret centre, my heart & my tongue!

All: Mine heart is uplifted in me, and the serpent flame therein; I shall get me to the House of the Beloved.

Officiant: I have wandered in desolate places; I have dwelt long apart from delight.

All: Mine heart is uplifted in me, and the serpent flame therein; I shall get me to the House of the Beloved.

Officiant: In the midst of the market's booths, I was alone; only Thy voice murmured to me, "Come away!"

All: Mine heart is uplifted in me, and the serpent flame therein; I shall get me to the House of the Beloved.

Officiant: Whither shall I go, if not to Thee? How shall I enter, if not by the four gates? I shall stand on the floor of Thy palace -- even upon the paving of silver and gold I shall stand.

All: Mine heart is uplifted in me, and the serpent flame therein; I shall get me to the House of the Beloved.

Officiant: Sweet unto me are Thy words, O my Beautiful! my ear desireth them as the fire craveth kindling. As the falcon enchained perisheth for want of flight, even so my soul for want of Thee.

All: Mine heart is uplifted in me, and the serpent flame therein; I shall get me to the House of the Beloved.

Officiant: The rose turneth her face unto the Sun; I shall raise my countenance to the stars, Yea, even to the dome of stars wherewith Thou hast roofed Thine house, that house wherein I shall dwell with Thee forever.

All: Mine heart is uplifted in me, and the serpent flame therein; I shall get me to the House of the Beloved.

Officiant: That House, my refuge, and the table Thou hast laid for me -- O food to nourish the deepest, O wine to intoxicate the inmost!

All: Mine heart is uplifted in me, and the serpent flame therein; I shall get me to the House of the Beloved.

Officiant: Thou hast spread the banquet, and I shall feast thereupon until the shadows flee away, in Thine everlasting Glory.

All: Mine heart is uplifted in me, and the serpent flame therein; I shall get me to the House of the Beloved.


During the Nigredo, Albedo, and Rubedo the corresponding hymn is played or sung here. The hymns that we use are by the late Soror Marfiza of the Companions of Monsalvat and are named after the three stages. There is no corresponding hymn for the Days of the Feast.

Officiant: The Speech in the Silence.
The Words against the Son of Night.
The Voice of Tahuti in the Universe in the Presence of the Eternal.
The Formulas of Knowledge.

The Wisdom of Breath.
The Root of Vibration.
The Shaking of the Invisible.
The Rolling Asunder of the Darkness.
The Becoming Visible of Matter.
The Piercing of the Scales of the Crocodile.
The Breaking Forth of the Light!

V. THE OFFICE OF THE READINGS

The readings are given here. For most of the Holy Days there are two readings. The first is the appropriate Holy Book reading according to the calendar set down by the Temple and College of Thelema (http://www.thelema.org/home/thelemic_holy_season.html). The second reading is from some other writing of St. Aleister, or a writing from one of our EGC Saints, or of some other Gnostic Saint, or of our Patriarchs or Primates. These readings are announced by title as they are read. The first day of the season is the only one on which there are two Offices, one in the morning and one in the evening; on the remaining days, the Office may occur at any solar angularity. The readings for each day follow under the Office of the Readings tag.

Officiant: I am the flame that burns in every heart of man, and in the core of every star. I am alone: there is no God where I am. There is no law beyond Do what thou wilt.

Pause.

Now meditate upon the Divine Radiance, that One Light which deserves our reverence, the One whose noble thought energizes and directs our awakening.

Formless meditation or chanting follows. A mantra that we have used to good effect in this ritual is Nefer Netjer Heru Wed Neh (the perfect god Horus brings life).

VI. FINAL BENEDICTION

Officiant: Remember all ye that existence is pure joy; that all the sorrows are but as shadows; they pass & are done; but there is that which remains.

All: I am uplifted in thine heart, and the kisses of the stars rain hard upon thy body.

Officiant: May Light, Life, Love and Liberty be extended universally to all, under the regency of the One Law of Thelema. May all attain the Stone of the Wise, the Summum Bonum, True Wisdom and Perfect Happiness.

All: ABRAHADABRA!

Officiant: There is an end of the speech; let the Silence of darkness be broken;

All: Let it return into the silence of light.


Technorati Digg This Stumble Stumble

No comments: