Sunday, September 8, 2019

Benny Hinn Renounces Prosperity Gospel

If this article is accurate, it's a huge deal for Christian evangelism. In a statement last week, televangelist Benny Hinn renounced the so-called "Prosperity Gospel." It's huge because Hinn was an early and enthusiastic proponent of this misguided take on the teachings of Jesus that went on to infect ministries all over the country. It also is trivially obvious that the idea God wants you to have tons of money should not be part of Christian theology. A simple Google search for "Jesus" and "rich man" should suffice if there's any doubt in your mind.

Christian televangelist Benny Hinn, who has made millions of dollars preaching the prosperity gospel, has now made a stunning rejecting of the practice and declared that 'it's an offense to the Lord'. The pastor and faith healer behind Benny Hinn Ministries publicly renounced the teachings he has previously been a vocal supporter of during a live feed posted to his Facebook on Monday.

The prosperity gospel is the controversial teaching and belief among some Protestant Christians that followers can obtain wealth and health by making donations to God through the church. Hinn, who has an estimated fortune of $60 million, now insists the 'Holy Ghost is just fed up' with the prosperity gospel and vowed never again to ask for money.

The pastor and faith healer behind Benny Hinn Ministries publicly renounced the teachings he has previously been a vocal supporter of during a live feed posted to his Facebook on Monday 'I'm sorry to say that prosperity has gone a little crazy and I'm correcting my own theology and you need to all know it. Because when I read the Bible now, I don't see the Bible in the same eyes I saw 20 years ago,' Hinn said.

'I think it's an offense to the Lord, it's an offense to say give $1,000. I think it's an offense to the Holy Spirit to place a price on the Gospel. I'm done with it. I will never again ask you to give $1,000 or whatever amount because I think the Holy Ghost is just fed up with it. I think it hurts the Gospel, so I'm making this statement for the first time in my life and frankly, I don't care what people think about me anymore.'

It is, of course, a bit ironic that Hinn came to this realization that could be obtained with a simple Google search only after amassing a sixty million dollar fortune. He has enough money that he really does never need to ask for donations again. Still, if he really does press forward with an entirely donation-free ministry, it will be interesting and telling to see if other prominent televangelists follow suit. It really is about time.

John Oliver had a great segment awhile back on just how ridiculously money-grubbing and scammy these prosperity ministries have become. Frankly, it's flat-out embarrassing and makes the Christian faith look like one big confidence game. Maybe Benny Hinn with his "Holy Ghost machine gun" is just the guy to take care of the current situation.

Technorati Digg This Stumble Stumble

No comments: